Friday, April 12, 2013

Kiran Bedi- Not against govt but for people

Kiran BediNot against govt but for people

The only woman member of Team Anna, which recently launched the crusade against corruption in the government circles, Kiran Bedi believes that bureaucrats with a sense of freedom within choose to work for people at some stage in their careers.
"I never did my work as a job. I always believed I am serving a cause and when I felt I am not serving it, I quit. I always had a sense of freedom in me and many others may have it," Bedi, who took voluntary retirement from the IPS in December 2007, said. She was the first woman officer to join the IPS in 1972.
"I do not speak against the government. I speak for the people. In the process, I make both friends and enemies," she said.
She has been honoured for social work with several awards, including the Magsaysay Award and the United Nations Medal. Bedi believes that her social work and criticism of many policies stand as evidence for her being pro-people even during her days in the services.
"I openly wrote during my career about the home ministry sabotaging the police reforms. Even my posting at Tihar was a punishment," Bedi, who also hosted the famous TV show Aap Ki Kachehri, said.
She has founded two NGOs in India: Navjyoti for welfare and preventive policing (in 1986) and the India Vision Foundation for prison reformation, drug abuse prevention and child welfare (in 1994).
"I never had any political godfather, nor did I cultivate any," Bedi says proudly.


No comments:

Post a Comment